Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2019, Rumours, Hearsay, Announcements, Wishlists.......

So had some info this morning that BMWs involvment with gardx is very much up in the air. BMW are not happy with leniency allowed to other manufacturers. Also mentioned to the person who this info came from that I could so Plato going to wsr to replace turkington and i had a no comment come back. Adrian Flux 1 series anyone as if bmw are backing it it would have to be a 3

Itís very telling that most of this thread about the BTCC has actually been about WTCR.

I expect WTCR and TCR Uk to be even better than this year, especially the UK series will have more cars.

You can watch both TCR and WTCR on YouTube. Live and replay.

There is currently a Motorbase Ford Focus testing at Snetterton with the name Plato on the window. Before there is too much excitement I'm thinking the driver's christian name is Lewis...

Turns out it is Lewis Plato testing for Motorbase today. The other car is going out soon and has the name Jackson on the window. And it's not a case of all is forgiven! ;-) Ollie Jackson heading out soon I believe
    Last edited by Wookieboy; 18th Oct 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I expect WTCR and TCR Uk to be even better than this year, especially the UK series will have more cars.
    Well it couldn't really have any fewer. But it's just a club championship, despite its grandiose ambitions. Its season finale this year had 11 cars and barely more spectators.

I do think WTCR is a very good series. And also TCR Europe. If the national series become strong it could be very much like the super touring days with multiple series being strong.

If we lost NGTC for TCR you might certainly see more works teams with manufacturers backing a domestic progaramme.

You could literally have

Motorbase - Ford Focus
    Audi UK - Audi A3
    Team Dynamics - Honda Civic
    Power Maxed Racing - Vauxhall Astra
    BMR - Subaru Impreza - unlikely they will go bust
    Team Hard - VW Golf - Matches the VW Cup theme

I would expect Toyota to develop the new corolla as a TCR car. Makes sense when key rivals have them. I didnt want to admit it but it is the future of touring car racing. At he end of the day manufacturers get a return on investment for developing the car. Also we may see wildcard entries entering the btcc and some fantastic guest drives.

Never wanted to get rid of NGTC but i do think we now have to consider a change.

Also with there being a renault meganne it would make sense for renault uk to use that as a prize or channel for the winners of the clio cup. All makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishshuffle View Post
    I do think WTCR is a very good series. And also TCR Europe. If the national series become strong it could be very much like the super touring days with multiple series being strong.

If we lost NGTC for TCR you might certainly see more works teams with manufacturers backing a domestic progaramme.

You could literally have

Motorbase - Ford Focus
    Audi UK - Audi A3
    Team Dynamics - Honda Civic
    Power Maxed Racing - Vauxhall Astra
    BMR - Subaru Impreza - unlikely they will go bust
    Team Hard - VW Golf - Matches the VW Cup theme

I would expect Toyota to develop the new corolla as a TCR car. Makes sense when key rivals have them. I didnt want to admit it but it is the future of touring car racing. At he end of the day manufacturers get a return on investment for developing the car. Also we may see wildcard entries entering the btcc and some fantastic guest drives.

Never wanted to get rid of NGTC but i do think we now have to consider a change.

No, sorry. Wrong. A standardised touring car series across the World/Europe is dangerous. If manufacturers become directly involved we will end up with another Super Touring (original name 2.0 formula) once the BTCC model of 2.0 formula (latterly named Super Touring) was adopted by the FIA look what happened...huge manufacturer involvement which for a while was fantastic but ultimately it could not last. Costs were further and further increased as the cars became more technical and it could only end one way! It got out of hand and indirectly and without intent, Gow, Rouse and co. created a monster which they never wanted when they first derived the 2.0 formula. Historically touring car series has never been about standardisation across the Globe. Let independently run championships thrive.. for example Supercars in Australia, DTM in Germany, NGTC over here etc etc...
    TCR cars are more basic and more akin to the Group N saloon cars from the 80s and 90s but they are not proper touring cars anyway and cannot match NGTC for overall appeal. Alan Gow and his teenage have got things spot on here. TCR also has its appeal but I donít want it to take over Globally and Iím sad to see whatís happening. All you need is works involvement and it will wreck it. It will push most independent teams back down the grid and they will leave and this is where I believe WTCR is heading. Basically a manufacturer arms race.
    As for the comment about Toyota will develop a TCR Car well they might do just that and if they do that then floodgates will open for other manufacturers. Iím not sure if you realise but currently car makers have no direct involvement in the development of the cars hence the Global appeal.
    I hope we never have to absorb it as a BTCC series as it would bring back ugly memories of Supper Touring where each car was ultimately a £5,000,000 vehicle with a computer required to run it!! It was fun for a while but in the end it was a bad dream.

Car makers do develop the cars tho in TCR..........Hyundai and audi and so on are all developed in house. They are then sold to customer teams. Therfore the manufacturer gets money back on there investment. If the regulations are tight there are no reasons why costs would spiral .

I didnt think like this to start with but i am afraid that TCR is the way ahead now and there is no going back

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishshuffle View Post
    Car makers do develop the cars tho in TCR..........Hyundai and audi and so on are all developed in house. They are then sold to customer teams. Therfore the manufacturer gets money back on there investment. If the regulations are tight there are no reasons why costs would spiral .

I didnt think like this to start with but i am afraid that TCR is the way ahead now and there is no going back
    Nah, sorry. Itís like you telling me back in the 1980s that Uniroyal production saloons were the future of touring cars!! Thereís a place for TCR but itís not the future. What about NGTC over here?? Where is the issue?? Itís relatively cost effective and some of the best racing weíve been privalaged enough to see. Why should we be even thinking about TCR?? At this point Iíd love for Alan Gow to put his view across....