Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Jason plato - "nil point"

Quote Originally Posted by daviephd View Post
    Given how fast they were at the end of 2016 I'd say that mine is a fair comment, both Plato and Turkington were kicking ass at the end of 2016, in 2017 normal service would have meant that Ash and Plato kicked more ass but that's not how it went. Ash won a deserved but pretty close title fight but the rest of the Scooby's were nowhere.
    I'm definitely in agreement with what you're saying here and in previous posts. I'd love to see Jason on the podium at Oulton

Quote Originally Posted by daviephd View Post
    I disagree that the advantage they had in 2016 was unfair, one of the defining features of a Subaru Road Car is the low CofG of the Boxer Engine. If that carries over into the race version then I don't have a problem with that.

A wee look at Rob Austin's old fan favourite "Sherman" would reveal that the engine was mounted lower and further back than in any road going Audi A4 giving better weight distribution and a lower CofG compared to the road version. But Sherman wasn't as successful as the 2016 Levorg so it's advantage was never addressed.

If we are going to have rules about these things they should apply to all cars, not just the ones running at the front.

I still feel that TOCA Hobbled them unfairly and this has probably the biggest factor in them not having the 2017 they expected, not managing to get the level of investment and sponsorship etc they need to run a top team. Yes they over reached in 2017 running 6 cars etc.

I reckon Subaru will depart the series never to return once their deal with BMR expires, and it will be mostly TOCA's doing driving a manufacturer away because the opposition felt threatened. Alfa with the 155 in the 90's? Audi with the old A4 Quattro? History repeating itself.
    Having seen photos and shots on TV of where the engine is mounted in the BMR Levorgs, that cant possibly be where it sits in the roadgoing versions can it? The engine bay is almost empty its so far back. I think the inbuilt CofG "advantages" (like you, i dont consider it unfair, just good choice of starting point) of the engine are just compounded by moving it further down/back, and that it was THIS advantage that the balancing measures were intended to negate.

I fully agree that they should not have been penalized. If they are going to allow Subaru in the Championship, it should go without saying that any inherent characteristics of the car need to be remain. It's like saying the BMW's should be front wheel drive.....

Also, another point regarding 2017 and the disastrous season Plato had. Yes, it was very, very poor by Plato's standard and he should have scored many, many more points, but given the difficulties the team and/or Plato had he still finished 12th in the Championship, scored a race win and scored 140-odd points. He finished ahead of Moffat and not a million miles behind the likes of Morgan and also Jordan for whom there was much fanfare joining a team the size of WSR and a RWD car. If he hadn't have had such an awful start to the season he could have still finished 6th-8th in Championship. Again, still lower than you'd expect of Plato, but given the clear issues that lie somewhere or another it could have been a lot worse.

Its a shame we missed out on the Plato vs Sutton battle, R3 Thruxton.

Both starting at the back. Who would have made the most progress?

(Maybe part of the reason he decided to have an early bath)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

(Maybe part of the reason he decided to have an early bath)
    No, not having a working engine was fully the reason Plato didn't take part in race 3.

Plato's whole weekend was ruined by engine dramas. Thruxton was always going to be a difficult weekend for Subaru anyway, plus Sutton also had car issues all weekend, just not as bad as Plato's.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwoy84 View Post
    Plato's whole weekend was ruined by engine dramas. Thruxton was always going to be a difficult weekend for Subaru anyway, plus Sutton also had car issues all weekend, just not as bad as Plato's.
    They probably were "as bad". The major difference being that when Ash's engine went bang, the team had a spare. When Plato's went bang, the spare was already in Ash's car.