Thread: Northern Irish round?

Northern Irish round?

Was reading an article on BBC Sport about world superbikes and noticed that there will soon be a round in Northern Ireland, Johnny Rea is a 3 times world champion and this has obviously helped propel the sport into more households in Northern Ireland.
    The BTCC also has a multiple champion from Northern Ireland, I'm sure Colin would love to race in his homeland.
    The new track looks really good, it would be great to have a race outside of England and Scotland.

The track and information can be found here, I wonder if the BTCC will ever attend the circuit when it is complete.

http://laketorrent.com/the-track/
    Good Old Sussex By The Sea

3.59km
    163 acres
    3 tracks.
    Would love to see the BTCC race round here, on their website they have a video of what the track will look like.
    Good Old Sussex By The Sea

If it comes off it looks like it would be a stunning circuit. Lets hope we don't get a repeat of Circuit Of Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    3.59km
    163 acres
    3 tracks.
    Would love to see the BTCC race round here, on their website they have a video of what the track will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwaii View Post
    If it comes off it looks like it would be a stunning circuit. Lets hope we don't get a repeat of Circuit Of Wales.
    If the Circuit of Wales had been completed (lots of talking, remote possibility) it would have been more likely than Lake Torrent. Seeing as one of the reasons for Mondello being dropped was because of costs to teams getting there I can't see this being that much cheaper.

Pity, though. A new circuit would be nice to have.

P
    I'm terrified of dying because I'm having a jolly good time down here.

James Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ogami View Post
    If the Circuit of Wales had been completed (lots of talking, remote possibility) it would have been more likely than Lake Torrent. Seeing as one of the reasons for Mondello being dropped was because of costs to teams getting there I can't see this being that much cheaper.

Pity, though. A new circuit would be nice to have.

P
    They’re all more than happy to ****** off to Spain and Portugal though!
    Facebook - Darrell Page
    Twitter - @darrellapage

Controversial originality since 1990

Quote Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
    Ah, well, that's because flights and ferries are cheaper 'cos it ain't school holidays, innit.

P
    I'm terrified of dying because I'm having a jolly good time down here.

James Hunt

If it was the week before/after Knockhill that surely would help, plenty of ferries to/from Scotland across the Irish Sea, looks it'll be a nice place when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
    You can hire a track in Spain for around Euro6,000 per day.

The national circuit at Silverstone costs £21,000 per day.
    If you want to test for a week, then it's much cheaper to drive to Spain than to Silverstone.

Quote Originally Posted by wvm View Post
    You can hire a track in Spain for around Euro6,000 per day.

The national circuit at Silverstone costs £21,000 per day.
    If you want to test for a week, then it's much cheaper to drive to Spain than to Silverstone.
    Wow. Just wow.
    Facebook - Darrell Page
    Twitter - @darrellapage

Controversial originality since 1990

Quote Originally Posted by mj 446 View Post
    If it was the week before/after Knockhill that surely would help, plenty of ferries to/from Scotland across the Irish Sea, looks it'll be a nice place when finished.
    There may be plenty of them - but it still costs fortunes to use them.

Only 'cheap' way to travel to Ireland is either by taking the ferry on foot, or by flying. Taking your car over is pretty expensive.

I'm sure the last time I looked in to it it was going to be about £260 for a car with two passengers return from Cairnryan to Belfast. Maybe if you're filling the car with 5 people and splitting the cost between them its not so bad.

Would more than likely be cheaper to fly over and hire a car for the weekend than it would be to take your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    There may be plenty of them - but it still costs fortunes to use them.

Would more than likely be cheaper to fly over and hire a car for the weekend than it would be to take your own.
    To be honest, that certainly would be my plan if it were to go ahead in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mj 446 View Post
    If it was the week before/after Knockhill that surely would help, plenty of ferries to/from Scotland across the Irish Sea.
    While this may well be true, I think what would also have to be taken into account is that for many involved in the BTCC circus (teams, support teams, technical staff etc) it could mean longer away from home than many would want as well.
    Sick of censorship.