Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snetterton 2018

Snetterton 2018

What do people think of the plan for the 3rd race at Snetterton next year? On one hand I think it's great with things like all cars competing without any success ballast but on the other I'm not keen on double points being available. That, I think, is a wee bit Bernie.

I'd like to see a race between all (living) BTCC champions, though. That would be fun.

P
    I'm terrified of dying because I'm having a jolly good time down here.

James Hunt

Not keen on the idea to be honest. It would be fantastic if it were an additional, non-championship race, but messing around with the Championship like that I don't agree with and it makes a bit of a mockery of the Championship in my opinion.

For me, it should be a one-off race. No ballast, no championship points. On a separate date, so the extra race distance etc don't affect anyone's chances in the Championship. Separate qualifying session following a different format where every driver has one flying lap with no chance of any assistance/hinderance and a special trophy for the winner.

I think it's a great idea.
    It would be even better if pit-stops were included

Seems a great idea. Ive heard a few people mention that they think it would be better if it replaced race 2 AND 3 if its double points, which is a fair point but i dont agree myself.

As far as i can make out, pit stops have to be part of it though right? Fuel aside (as i dont know sizes of fuel tanks, and i imagine larger/extra ones could be fitted if needed), not even the hard compound tyre will last 60 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastexocet View Post
    I think it's a great idea.
    It would be even better if pit-stops were included
    I was just going to ask will there be pit-stops?

I like the idea!

But...... I'm generally of the thought that touring car races should be longer to begin with, so I'm probably a bit biased in that sense

sprint and feature races

I like the idea too,

I quite liked the old Sprint and Feature race format from Supertouring days and would love to see that return in some way.

Something for a one off sounds ok to me, pretty sure Dunlop will come up with a tyre to suit the extra distance, all for longer races, more laps , means more times to see the cars.

If it aint broke don't fix it... Simple

I think the hype will be the most exciting bit about it!

A double length race, on a long drawn out lap?

If it were on a much shorter track where the cars don't get so spread out so easily, that would be a different matter!
    @psq43 , rather obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwoy84 View Post
    Not keen on the idea to be honest. It would be fantastic if it were an additional, non-championship race, but messing around with the Championship like that I don't agree with and it makes a bit of a mockery of the Championship in my opinion.
    So what you are saying is that in a championship that manipulates the racing to the nth degree that a race where it is the best car/driver combination over a decent race distance, with no artificial elements added, makes a "mockery" of said championship?
    I'll let you think about that for a while..........

Quote Originally Posted by adzerrancoon View Post
    So what you are saying is that in a championship that manipulates the racing to the nth degree that a race where it is the best car/driver combination over a decent race distance, with no artificial elements added, makes a "mockery" of said championship?
    I'll let you think about that for a while..........
    Yes.

Having a one-off race where certain rules and regulations are completely dropped and double points are put on offer makes a mockery of the rest of the championship. If you're going to run longer races, with no ballast or reverse grids, you have to do that at every track to make it relevant to the Championship. A longer distance at Snetterton, with none of the normal stipulations will still favour certain cars/drivers than if it were at Knockhill, Brands Hatch, Croft, Oulton Park, Silverstone, Donington or anywhere else. It's a complete anomaly to the Championship...

But if everyone is in the same position, no team/driver will have an advantage over any other, so it has no extra influence on the championship than any other race.

Or am i being particularly naive or missing a crucial point?

Could you maybe give a specific example of a situation that illustrates your point? Im actually more than open to change my mind on this right now, given the right information, but as it stands it all seems pretty fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal2001 View Post
    But if everyone is in the same position, no team/driver will have an advantage over any other, so it has no extra influence on the championship than any other race.

Or am i being particularly naive or missing a crucial point?

Could you maybe give a specific example of a situation that illustrates your point? Im actually more than open to change my mind on this right now, given the right information, but as it stands it all seems pretty fair to me.
    The double points thing is the biggest problem. Why should one race be worth more than any other? Even if it's a longer distance. Championship contender Driver X could pick up damage through no fault of his own, leaving his nearest title contenders Driver Y and Drive Z to finish 1st and 2nd respectively and gain double points. Hardly fair on Driver X.

In terms of advantage, yes, it gives an advantage to a driver/car that is better suited to Snetterton to gain double points, when the same is not on offer at any other track, which may, in turn, suit another driver/car.

It's all about consistency. In you want to be consistent, EVERY round should be the same set of regulations and same format. Same ballast/qualifying/reverse grids/race distance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwoy84 View Post
    It's all about consistency. In you want to be consistent, EVERY round should be the same set of regulations and same format. Same ballast/qualifying/reverse grids/race distance etc.
    Aussie v8's switches from single drivers to the Enduro Cup, all in the same season and all in the same series. Hasn't done them any harm and I reckon it adds to the show....

I reckon the BTCC could perhaps do with a shake up from time to time, see if it works, if not drop it next year no harm done.

I would like to see an Endurance race in the BTCC - kinda like a mini Bathurst, if this idea works out then who knows we might get to stage a mini Bathurst in the BTCC.

Lot's of unfair things happen in Motorsport (or any sport for that matter) and if a race is twice as long then I have no issue with double points being awarded. On the subject of unfair things I wonder if BMR will be allowed to lose the weight added "to offset their unique boxer engine" probably not, in fact they'll probably have to carry everyone else's ballast.......