Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018, Rumours, Announcements, Grid etc.

Quote Originally Posted by daviephd View Post
    What I'd like to see....

BMR/Scooby - back with just 2 cars - Sutton and Plato
    BMW/WSR - no change
    888/MG - hopefully dropping the MG
    Dynamics/Honda - the new Civic is ugly as sin, the Type R more so. Time for a change (and drop Matt Simpson)
    Eurotech/Honda - too much of a threat to Dynamics these days, reckon they will no longer be assisted. Lacking the depth of talent to build their own car I reckon they will do a Father & Son crack at TCR UK.
    Handy/Speedworks - Hopefully join forces to build & run 2x Alfas for Tingram and Austin.
    Cicely/Laser - Join Forces, tempt Merc UK to lend a bit of factory support
    PMR - Solid first year - keep it going - likely not to see Chilton back though
    BTC/Norlin - Chevy has had it - reckon they should purchase 2x scoobies
    I saw the laser wagon parked at cicely in blackburn ( side of m65 ) last week, may be something in this ?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismc View Post
    I saw the laser wagon parked at cicely in blackburn ( side of m65 ) last week, may be something in this ?
    There is 100% something in this. Ciceley built both Mercs and provide engineering support to the #16.

I wonder if Plato's tweet of the 15th is a hint about where he's going next year.

It does mention "future".

It's not HARD to work out, even if the pun is a little adult....

So, first official driver announcement for 2018 tomorrow. Would be surprised if Team Hard don't retain at least 2 of Hill/ Epps/ Burns.

Andy Jordan has confirmed on Twitter that he will be racing a BMW again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
    So, first official driver announcement for 2018 tomorrow. Would be surprised if Team Hard don't retain at least 2 of Hill/ Epps/ Burns.

Andy Jordan has confirmed on Twitter that he will be racing a BMW again next year.
    Jake Hill confirmed on FB that he’ll be in BTCC next year, but not who with 😉 Think he’s off elsewhere, had he picked up one of his sponsors before Christmas last year, he’d of been in a Yellow car with a Blue oval on the front!

Shedden - 10th in TCR Practice

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...session-dubai/

I was pleased to see Shedden getting a run out in TCR in his off season, hope he isn't tempted to jump ship and race in it full time...

TCR to merge with WTCC? is BTCC next?

I hope not. I suppose the main weakness here is that TOCA haven't managed to make NGTC widely used worldwide.

We will see.

P
    I'm terrified of dying because I'm having a jolly good time down here.

James Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ogami View Post
    I suppose the main weakness here is that TOCA haven't managed to make NGTC widely used worldwide.
    Agreed, but if last weekend is anything to go by it could be a great opportunity for some BTCC drivers. Shedden stuck it on pole, got a 2nd and a 7th in his first weekend in the series, first drive of the car and first drive at the circuit. He did well against the TCR's usual protagonists and the Hyundai star pairing of Tarquini/Menu who need no introduction.

Whilst as a set of technical regs. the series might well be the way to go the calibre of the current drivers doesn't seem to be on a par with the BTCC (with a few notable exceptions). And the grid wasn't as well populated as the BTCC either (but the merger would surely solve that).

The only stumbling block could be whether or not works teams are permitted as an FIA world championship it probably needs them. I'd like to see them allow it in the WTCR and keep the local/regional series for privateer teams.

The only stumbling block could be whether or not works teams are permitted as an FIA world championship it probably needs them. I'd like to see them allow it in the WTCR and keep the local/regional series for privateer teams.
    That was one of the things in the article, assuming by "works" you include "factory-backed". As it says:

The result is rumoured to be branded the as the “FIA WTCR”, which would in theory mean an FIA World Cup designation as opposed to FIA World Championship status – with factory-backed entries prohibited and the customer racing model of TCR being maintained.

For financial fairness it makes sense (as long as there's a budget limit as well) but, as you say, if it's a world cup/championship it should also be seen as a mobile manufacturer show-room.

P
    I'm terrified of dying because I'm having a jolly good time down here.

James Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ogami View Post
    For financial fairness it makes sense (as long as there's a budget limit as well) but, as you say, if it's a world cup/championship it should also be seen as a mobile manufacturer show-room.
    I think it could work, the strength in the TCR Concept as I see it is that if they are all privateers, and the cars are cost capped at 130,000 euros then each driver (even a new entry) is in a good car to start with.

Contrast that with the BTCC, Dan Welch is a reasonably good driver, did well against Rob Huff and Mat Jackson in Seat Cupra Challenge. Both Rob and Mat got to drive reasonably well developed cars in the BTCC and did well. Dan and his team plow their own furrow with the Proton and don't do so well. If three similarly talented drivers were to enter a TCR Series the playing field would be leveled off quite a bit.

A team like Eurotech could really prosper in a TCR/BTCC, they maybe don't have the depth of ability to build their own car, but can do a decent job of running them for the right drivers.

Let's be honest, when was the last time you watched a race to see how well developed a car was? we all remember how well or badly they are driven though.

I think it could work, the strength in the TCR Concept as I see it is that if they are all privateers, and the cars are cost capped at 130,000 euros then each driver (even a new entry) is in a good car to start with.

Contrast that with the BTCC, Dan Welch is a reasonably good driver, did well against Rob Huff and Mat Jackson in Seat Cupra Challenge. Both Rob and Mat got to drive reasonably well developed cars in the BTCC and did well. Dan and his team plow their own furrow with the Proton and don't do so well. If three similarly talented drivers were to enter a TCR Series the playing field would be leveled off quite a bit.

A team like Eurotech could really prosper in a TCR/BTCC, they maybe don't have the depth of ability to build their own car, but can do a decent job of running them for the right drivers.

Let's be honest, when was the last time you watched a race to see how well developed a car was? we all remember how well or badly they are driven though.
    Good points you've made man.

It's something that I've been thinking of recently myself. Once the lights go out and the race starts, it doesn't really matter what drivetrain, powertrain etc. a car is running it's the closeness of the racing that does. It's something which even Alan Gow himself eluded to in an interview. NGTC has undoubtedly created a massive peak in the interest of the BTCC in the last few years but, TCR has captured a global audience. It'll be interesting to see how well (or not) the UK series does. That, I feel will be the strongest indicator for whether or not teams will decide to jump ship.

I honestly believe that if the NGTC cars were to be swapped with TCR cars (with the same drivers), we'd still have all of the close racing and close championship fights we become accustomed to.

Wonder if TCR still isn’t on Gows radar

The way I see it... TCR has grown out of what WTCC wasnt going well.... MANY things.
    But the BTCC was also doing it own thing post s2000 regs with the same intention and also having good results.
    TCR seems to me, a step ahead of 1-make series, but a step behind BTCC. However 10 steps ahead of WTCC. I wonder if TCR popularity will force a new NGTC concept?

A Loss to the series....

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...sue-gt-career/

Not good news this, I was kinda hoping that having done some penance he would have got into a BMR Scooby for 2018. Not to be though....