Thread: Viewing positions at Thruxton

Viewing positions at Thruxton

I'll be taking my nephew to his first BTCC meeting at Thruxton in May. It will be my first visit to this particular circuit.

Can people tell me where the best viewing positions are at the circuit?
    Is it worth paying for a grandstand seat and if so is there a decent view of a large TV screen to see the action when it's not in front of you?

Thanks in advance of replies

I personally wouldn't bother with the grandstands. I did once, and found the view wasnt great.

I like the grass bank at the complex (Campbell, Cobb). You get them coming into view at high speed, hard on the brakes and through the corners. Its also a good place for overtaking.

But it does get busy.
    “One can’t be angry when one looks at a penguin”

Quote Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother with the grandstands. I did once, and found the view wasnt great.

I like the grass bank at the complex (Campbell, Cobb). You get them coming into view at high speed, hard on the brakes and through the corners. Its also a good place for overtaking.

But it does get busy.
    That is one of the best places for viewing, but you need to get there early as like Cars says it gets very busy.

The Granstand is better than it was now the've added a big screen opposite and it often depends on where you end up seated. In the best seats you can see a lot of the track, but you take pot luck on where your seats are!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there a TV screen opposite Campbell/Cobb complex?

If we were to arrive at the circuit about 9am would that be early enough to grab a decent viewing position at Campbell/Cobb?

I havent been for a year or so but I think there was a screen at the complex.

I dont often sit still for the day. I wonder around and try to find somewhere to sit 30-60mins before each btcc race and have never had an issue finding somewhere to sit/stand. If you want to find somewhere to set up a more permanent spot, 9am should be ok but I wouldn't guarantee it.
    “One can’t be angry when one looks at a penguin”

Quote Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
    I havent been for a year or so but I think there was a screen at the complex.

I dont often sit still for the day. I wonder around and try to find somewhere to sit 30-60mins before each btcc race and have never had an issue finding somewhere to sit/stand. If you want to find somewhere to set up a more permanent spot, 9am should be ok but I wouldn't guarantee it.
    Yep, that's correct about the screen at the complex - it makes the action out the back of the track a lot easier to follow.

With timing on getting there, I guess it depends if you want to do the autograph session as it's quite early in the day and the queues to get into Thruxton can be horrific (or they were last year...).
    David Leslie, Silverstone 1997: "This is David, Bintcliffe's done it again and the car's f***ed..."

Many thanks guys.

Not worried about autographs but the traffic queues make it sound as though an early arrival would be better.

Is there a cafe that serves a decent English breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    Many thanks guys.

Not worried about autographs but the traffic queues make it sound as though an early arrival would be better.

Is there a cafe that serves a decent English breakfast?
    I would plan on arriving before 8.30am. And there's a very good cafe for breakfast, but not anywhere near Campbell/Cobb/Segrave, so you probably have a choice between a good breakfast and a good viewing spot.