Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall deal

Vauxhall deal

Has anyone seen any Vauxhall announcements that acknowledges that PMR are connected to a manufacturer deal.

No, not a thing.

I too find this whole thing very wishy washy.

Vauxhall were known as a big budget outfit only a few years back with 888. Some of the best touring car drivers in the world, plus one or two requiring budget. I know 888 are tied in to an equally flimsy MG works outfit now, but for vauxhall to come back, with a relatively new team but signing up unproven touring car drivers, who by all means I expect are bringing substantial budget, I don't know.... it all seems a little ' yes we'll give you a astra shell but no funding on top '.

What is a true works outfit these days? They used to be the likes of Ford, Volvo, Renault, Vauxhall etc putting in big budgets, up to date cars, paying driver salaries plus some financial sponsorship input.

Nowadays, what teams have anything like that? My guess only is subaru? Do even Honda supply much in the way of financial budget? And while the likes of motorbase and WSR represent the Focus ST and BMW 1 series very well, then why should a manufacturer need to pump much money In... they must be laughing.
    Last edited by speedy king; 7th Dec 2016 at 09:35 AM.
    2016, year of the Goff...

If you haven't seen it, there's a good article by Matt James on Autosport about 'works' teams.
    http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...ed-in-20-years

Basically it's not about Vauxhall running/funding the team with a view to selling more cars to retail customers as would have been the case in the past, it's about Vauxhall adding their name to an existing deal and in return getting access to fleets of white-van men.

Quote Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
    If you haven't seen it, there's a good article by Matt James on Autosport about 'works' teams.
    http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...ed-in-20-years

Basically it's not about Vauxhall running/funding the team with a view to selling more cars to retail customers as would have been the case in the past, it's about Vauxhall adding their name to an existing deal and in return getting access to fleets of white-van men.
    Thanks for that. I remember reading about a fleet access in the original news story. Unfortunately I need to have an autosport account to read the full article
    2016, year of the Goff...

Quote Originally Posted by speedy king View Post
    And while the likes of motorbase and WSR represent the Focus ST and BMW 1 series very well, then why should a manufacturer need to pump much money In... they must be laughing.
    I'm sure Motorbase would love Ford's backing, but their Focus is a model that hasn't been on sale for a couple of years, so other than dealers selling 2nd hand ST's, Ford aren't really getting anything from it. Having said that, Motorbase often have use of Ford's facilities at the Research and Development Centre in Essex including use of the test track for shakedowns prior to each race weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy king View Post
    What is a true works outfit these days?
    non-existent I would say.
    Sick of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by cxx666 View Post
    non-existent I would say.
    It does look more like PMR have done some deal with a local Vauxhall dealer rather than Vauxhall. Its a bit underhand if it is being portrayed as manufacturer status.

It will all come out in the wash.

Seems very strange for Vauxhall to say nothing.

I suspect Vauxhall will only really start promoting it if they do well, so they don't go down the route of the Infiniti SOPR farce, when they came in all bells and whistles.

Without being critical of any one party there are no real "works teams" in the BTCC anymore. Whilst levels of involvement vary they are at best "dealer sport" teams like we had in the 70's and 80's. From what was released it seems like PMR have reached a commercial agreement with Vauxhall Vans UK rather than GM Europe or Global. so in a actual fact PMR are "Vauxhall Van Dealer Sport"

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm delighted to see PMR get a deal, they are a team with real potential and I hope the Astra runs well. These are difficult times for motorsport and any backing (even if it is just a supply of shells) must be welcomed.

They've got a good young prospect in Senna Proctor, I just hope they manage to get an experienced hand in the other car.

If they pay the fee to enter the manufacturers championship they are a manufacturer team.

S

It's the return of Dealer Team Vauxhall. Sadly without Baby Bertha and Old Nail.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    It's the return of Dealer Team Vauxhall. Sadly without Baby Bertha and Old Nail.
    Oh I remember them, wasn't it Gerry Birrell who peddled one or both with some success.
    Need to go check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderia View Post
    If they pay the fee to enter the manufacturers championship they are a manufacturer team.

S
    It's a Manufacturers/Constructors Championship so they may not necessarily be a manufacturer team.