Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Support Race news 2016

Support Race news 2016

Hey people,

Anyone heard anything with regards to drivers or teams for next years support race championships?

Rob Collard tweeted that his younger son (Jordan?) is trying to move up to Ginettas this year, and got through to the later stages of the selection process. Think Andy Priaulx's son was also at the same stage.

Edit: aaaaaand, just been told by the wife that Jordan didnt make it through todays selection, so scrap that bit of info.
    Last edited by Urinal2001; 28th Oct 2015 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal2001 View Post
    Rob Collard tweeted that his younger son (Jordan?) is trying to move up to Ginettas this year, and got through to the later stages of the selection process. Think Andy Priaulx's son was also at the same stage.

Edit: aaaaaand, just been told by the wife that Jordan didnt make it through todays selection, so scrap that bit of info.
    Correct, Seb was into the latter stages as was Nick Fosters son.

I am looking forward to see the Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge on the ToCA bill at Thruxton and Croft - those who don't know what it is, it's the more powerful and slick tyre versions of the Ginetta Junior cars (so the G40)
    Dan Marr - Motorsport Journalist (amongst the many other things I seem to do)
    mixcloud.com/danmarr14
    twitter.com/danmarr14

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal2001 View Post

Priaulx, Collard and Foster's sons all made it through to the final day of the process, alongside a grandson of Emerson Fittipaldi.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...ship-for-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by danfilm007 View Post
    I am looking forward to see the Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge on the ToCA bill at Thruxton and Croft - those who don't know what it is, it's the more powerful and slick tyre versions of the Ginetta Junior cars (so the G40)
    Indeed, also looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by ManorBARC View Post
    Priaulx, Collard and Foster's sons all made it through to the final day of the process, alongside a grandson of Emerson Fittipaldi.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...ship-for-2016/
    Priaulx's son is racing at Snetterton this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondeo2 View Post
    Priaulx's son is racing at Snetterton this weekend.
    Yes, he competed in the Winter Series, showing some strong pace amongst the 'rookie' entrants.

It's highly likely he will be doing a full season next year.

http://porscheracinggb.porsche.com/p...orsche-carrera

Carrera Cup will miss Donington, Thruxton and Rockingham TOCA meetings. Doing WEC Silverstone same weekend as BTCC are at Donington.

Quote Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
    http://porscheracinggb.porsche.com/p...orsche-carrera

Carrera Cup will miss Donington, Thruxton and Rockingham TOCA meetings. Doing WEC Silverstone same weekend as BTCC are at Donington.
    No change to this year then I believe.

With Clios missing Knockhill, that's four race meetings which currently only have four support series in place.

Only Oulton Park, Snetterton, Silverstone and Brands Hatch GP will have all five regular support championships in attendance.
    Last edited by ManorBARC; 30th Nov 2015 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManorBARC View Post
    No change to this year then I believe.
    They did WEC support at Spa this year, doing WEC at Silverstone next year, but otherwise it's the same.

I guess TOCA will do the same as this year and run an extra round of one/both of the Ginetta series to fill the gaps in the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
    They did WEC support at Spa this year, doing WEC at Silverstone next year, but otherwise it's the same.

I guess TOCA will do the same as this year and run an extra round of one/both of the Ginetta series to fill the gaps in the schedule
    GT Supercup is missing some events too.
    However they do have the Ginetta GT5 Challenge at some meetings.

The events with only four support series are the ones with pressure either on timetables (curfews at Croft, Thruxton and Rockingham) or paddock space (Knockhill)

Quote Originally Posted by wvm View Post
    GT Supercup is missing some events too.
    However they do have the Ginetta GT5 Challenge at some meetings.

The events with only four support series are the ones with pressure either on timetables (curfews at Croft, Thruxton and Rockingham) or paddock space (Knockhill)
    The Ginetta GT5 Challenge replaces the GT4 Supercup at 2 race weekends in 2016, I can't remember for certain which they are.

Its partly to reduce the costs of competing in the GT4 Supercup (though the amount of races could end up at 3 per weekend each weekend), plus helping to increase the profile of the GT5 Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by wvm View Post

Is there any chance of guest championships coming in? Considering it wasn't a problem for many years, strange that they feel they need to run those meetings with just four supports.

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_astra View Post
    The Ginetta GT5 Challenge replaces the GT4 Supercup at 2 race weekends in 2016, I can't remember for certain which they are.

Thruxton and Croft.

Speaking with Mike Bushell at Thruxton yesterday, he reckons the Clio grid will be 28 cars!