Thread: 2005-What made those SEATs so weak?

2005-What made those SEATs so weak?

Don't know if anybody still remember that season(which was a decade ago)much,but it seems like Plato's Toledo at that season was so much inferior than those Vauxhall Astras and Dynamcis Integras that he had to be extremely aggressive to take places from Neal and Muller!That car won 7 races in 2004 and all of a sudden it became nothing,what happened?The departure of RML contributed to that?

Think the car was down on power as well but for sure when RML departed that caused a huge affect. It was a poor season considering how quick the car was in plates hand the year before and James Pickford struggled so did Luke Hines. Not sure if I am right but did the change the way the grid was decided as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishshuffle View Post
    Think the car was down on power as well but for sure when RML departed that caused a huge affect. It was a poor season considering how quick the car was in plates hand the year before and James Pickford struggled so did Luke Hines. Not sure if I am right but did the change the way the grid was decided as well?
    I think the most problems are down to the lack of pace,Plato still got some good starting positions on reverse grid races,but those Integras can catch up with him from any position,which is really hopeless,maybe the car is too old when compared to the new cars developed by Dynamics and 888.

Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    I think the most problems are down to the lack of pace,Plato still got some good starting positions on reverse grid races,but those Integras can catch up with him from any position,which is really hopeless,maybe the car is too old when compared to the new cars developed by Dynamics and 888.
    Should the Integra have been allowed in series?
    Under current rules it wouldn't have.....

Of course it should have been allowed. It was within the rules at the time. And at a time when the BTCC was pretty vunerable they needed entries. I remember being massively dissapointed in the grid at the opener in 2005. 2004 was a great grid and a decent year and then 2005 at the start just looked pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattg13 View Post
    Should the Integra have been allowed in series?
    Under current rules it wouldn't have.....
    By the means of rules back then,the Integras are perfectly legal to compete,the problem is down to the rules,not the teams who built these coupes.Yes they does have huge advantages by using the loophole in the rules,but for BTCC back then,having a team with 2 cars is way better than nothing.

Of course it should have been allowed. It was within the rules at the time. And at a time when the BTCC was pretty vunerable they needed entries. I remember being massively dissapointed in the grid at the opener in 2005. 2004 was a great grid and a decent year and then 2005 at the start just looked pretty poor.
    In my opinions,the revival of WTCC impacted BTCC back then hugely,S2000 is becoming the universal specification in 2L touring cars while less and less teams are willing to use or develop BTC-T cars to participate.The downward spiral has started back in 2003 when BTC-T faced less investments and the 2005 season was the buttom of that.From 2006 grid is getting bigger again.

Yeah dynamics plan was to run a S2000 bmw but when looking at the cost of spares and so on, I can remember it was something like 5k for a bumper from bmw. They just decided to develop their own car and that's how the integra came about.

Yeah dynamics plan was to run a S2000 bmw but when looking at the cost of spares and so on, I can remember it was something like 5k for a bumper from bmw. They just decided to develop their own car and that's how the integra came about.
    And that's indeed a good decision!

Seemed so bad that BTC-T can't be a more common regulation,with cheaper prices to develop and run and better performance,it always had advantage when facing S2000 cars.Also I remember Plato back then was really unhappy about Integras' performance advantages and had a lot of aggressive move against Neal and Eaves,which made Steve Neal very angry!

But when compared to other S2000 cars the Toledo in 05 was still pretty competitive,Plato earned an overall 2nd in the European Touring Car Cup.