Thread: Tall BTCC Drivers (and the possible issues that come with height?)

Tall BTCC Drivers (and the possible issues that come with height?)

In the past week WTCC racer Dusan Borkovic has relinquished his seat in the Proteam Honda Civic, and dropped back to the ETCC for 2015, because he struggled to fit his 6ft 9inch frame into the car.

I was wondering the other day, have any BTCC drivers (past or present) struggled to fit into their race car because of their height?

At 6ft 6inch, Matt Neal is the only person that sprang to my mind, are there any others that the knowledgeable folk on this forum know of?

Quote Originally Posted by CGormally View Post
    In the past week WTCC racer Dusan Borkovic has relinquished his seat in the Proteam Honda Civic, and dropped back to the ETCC for 2015, because he struggled to fit his 6ft 9inch frame into the car.

I was wondering the other day, have any BTCC drivers (past or present) struggled to fit into their race car because of their height?

At 6ft 6inch, Matt Neal is the only person that sprang to my mind, are there any others that the knowledgeable folk on this forum know of?
    From what I've heard during the 1998 AMP Bathurst 1000 Neal's Primera's seat also needed to be changed when changing driver because of his height,which is much taller than Steven Richards.

I can't think of any, although I know Laurent Aiello struggled in the Nissan as he was actually too far back in the car for his liking . Look on some in car shots of that year and he's practically on the dashboard.
    @psq43 , rather obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
    I can't think of any, although I know Laurent Aiello struggled in the Nissan as he was actually too far back in the car for his liking . Look on some in car shots of that year and he's practically on the dashboard.
    Just got onto Youtube and there's an on-board shot of Aiello at Knockhill in 1999. You're right, he's pulled himself so far forward he looks cramped (well the arms do anyway.) How did he win that year's title driving like that? It looks so uncomfortable.

That's because Aiello was very, very short. I remember the on-board from Donington, and he's almost hugging the steering wheel.
    "Apparently David Bartrum was painting the garage wall during race 1 and by the end it was dry..." - Tim Harvey, Oulton Park 2014

Many years ago I got to sit in Matt Neal's primers at Oulton, I'm 5'8'' but couldn't reach the pedals or wheel correctly, some drivers sit as far back and low down for weight distribution whilst others like to sit over the wheel as they feel they have more control over it's movement when up close?

Quote Originally Posted by mj 446 View Post
    Many years ago I got to sit in Matt Neal's primers at Oulton, I'm 5'8'' but couldn't reach the pedals or wheel correctly, some drivers sit as far back and low down for weight distribution whilst others like to sit over the wheel as they feel they have more control over it's movement when up close?
    Lucky fella haha. I agree though that different drivers will have different driving positions and styles.

The Aiello example though, as productive for him as it was, still looked terribly uncomfortable. Still, who am I to judge, I've never won a BTCC title (either for real or on the Playstation haha.)