Thread: 2007 season—any memories?

2007 season—any memories?

Yes...I'm starting to wtach old recordings of 2007 season

But honestly that was one of the best BTCC seasons since the Super Touring era ended,we all remember the fantastic battle between Plato and Giovanardi,and also the manufacturer battle between Vauxhall and SEAT,with some future talents like Mat Jackson and TO-C coming in and scoring their first ever wins.So anybody could tell your memories about that spectecular season?

Ooh, very good memories. For starters there were two meetings at Thruxton for the first time since my first year going in 1999 and, as if the BTCC wanted to make things even better for me, VXR managed to get Alain Menu in a 3rd Vectra along with Paul O'Neill driving one of Motorbase's Toledos!

The fact that the final meeting was so entertaining was just the icing on the cake. One of the best meetings I'd attended since Dan Eaves doing the first ever triple
    David Leslie, Silverstone 1997: "This is David, Bintcliffe's done it again and the car's f***ed..."

I was also lucky enough to see the very rare spectacle of David Pinkney leading a BTCC race for a few laps (and had actually built up a decent lead, if memory serves) in the 3rd race of the first meeting whilst driving the fairly sexy Alfa 156.

Yes, I just used the words "David Pinkney" and "sexy" in the same sentence and yes, I do feel dirty now :P
    David Leslie, Silverstone 1997: "This is David, Bintcliffe's done it again and the car's f***ed..."

Quote Originally Posted by F50Kid View Post
    Ooh, very good memories. For starters there were two meetings at Thruxton for the first time since my first year going in 1999 and, as if the BTCC wanted to make things even better for me, VXR managed to get Alain Menu in a 3rd Vectra along with Paul O'Neill driving one of Motorbase's Toledos!

The fact that the final meeting was so entertaining was just the icing on the cake. One of the best meetings I'd attended since Dan Eaves doing the first ever triple
    Wow,that must be very exciting to be there!I can feel the tension of the final race even from the video!And indeed that final battle was very tense indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by F50Kid View Post
    I was also lucky enough to see the very rare spectacle of David Pinkney leading a BTCC race for a few laps (and had actually built up a decent lead, if memory serves) in the 3rd race of the first meeting whilst driving the fairly sexy Alfa 156.

Yes, I just used the words "David Pinkney" and "sexy" in the same sentence and yes, I do feel dirty now :P
    You're right,Pinkney indeed had a few second's lead in the beginning before being closed and overtaken by Plato,that race was famous for the 6 car side by side which happend in the second lap,and all of them got through the final chicane!

It's a shame that 156 never showed its true potential in BTCC though,at the same year Thommo drove that car to the overall 3rd place in WTCC,while in BTCC it seems like it's got some set-up problems,I still remember how sideways it was when going through Church!

'07... Oulton Park, round 15. Mat Jackson becoming a BTCC race winner 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_astra View Post
    '07... Oulton Park, round 15. Mat Jackson becoming a BTCC race winner 'nuff said.
    And that was under the instruction of Chris Hodgetts,successfully held the pressure of Plato on his back,indeed fantastic.Even though the BMW suits Oulton Park well when compared to Leon.

I agree, fantastic season. Important in many ways due to the first appearances of Onslow-Cole, Jackson (well, sorta) and Jones. Also, Tom Coronel and Menu at the final round, need I say more.

That being said, STCC superstar Jan 'Flash' Nilsson was very scathing of the final round at Thruxton in this piece for TcT.\

EDIT: D'oh! No link! http://www.touringcartimes.com/2007/...ing-in-europe/
    Last edited by SendInTheToops; 16th Feb 2015 at 03:09 PM.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by andyneate View Post
    Hi guys, unsubstantiated nonsense BORK BORK BORK

Quote Originally Posted by SendInTheToops View Post
    I agree, fantastic season. Important in many ways due to the first appearances of Onslow-Cole, Jackson (well, sorta) and Jones. Also, Tom Coronel and Menu at the final round, need I say more.

That being said, STCC superstar Jan 'Flash' Nilsson was very scathing of the final round at Thruxton in this piece for TcT.\

EDIT: D'oh! No link! http://www.touringcartimes.com/2007/...ing-in-europe/
    Ah,dear....I remember that columun extremely well when searching old posts on this forum(remember my question about how people's opinion changed through the years?),very funny to read when thinking about the situation the STCC and BTCC is in right now!

But that finale was really exciting to watch even after many years,the expression from the pit of SEAT Sport UK and VX Racing was hard to forget.I still remember how happy Sophie was when seeing her husband getting a surprising second place in Race 1!

In a way, 'Flash' got his wish with those awful cars they use in Sweden. Unfortunately for him and the STCC, they're not popular at all.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by andyneate View Post
    Hi guys, unsubstantiated nonsense BORK BORK BORK

Quote Originally Posted by SendInTheToops View Post
    In a way, 'Flash' got his wish with those awful cars they use in Sweden. Unfortunately for him and the STCC, they're not popular at all.
    Yes,he lead then so-called "TTA" to depart from STCC and form their own series,which brought to a dispute that nearly brought down the whole Swedish motorsport.And in the end STCC accpted what he want,then he quit,and STCC was close to extinction——How ironic.

But that was not related to BTCC 07' too much though,just as I said I enjoyed that season from time to time,and argubaly that was Plato's best season in terms of perfromance.

It was a great season, one of my favourites of all time. The thing that I really enjoyed about it was that all the "big" teams ran different cars with RML running SEATs, Triple Eight running Vauxhalls, Dynamics running Hondas and WSR running BMWs. As well as that there were MGs, Alphas and the odd Lexus further down the field. The variety of cars added to the enjoyment in my opinion.

The championship battle was thrilling, both Gio and Plato drove brilliantly throughout the year and even as a neutral that final round was nerve wracking to watch. It's ironic that one of the main reasons given for Plato not winning more than two titles is he is a win or bust driver. However in 07 he finished every single race and still came up short, you have to feel for him in that respect.

As already said, the emergence of Mat Jackson and TOC were also pleasing aspects to what was a memorable season.

The only tinge of disappointment for me on a personal note was that Matt Neal had a difficult year, winning just once, being outscored by Shedden for the first time and being involved in a huge shunt at Brands. You can't have it all though can you, haha!

Supporting Matt Neal over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomabigbtccfan View Post
    It was a great season, one of my favourites of all time. The thing that I really enjoyed about it was that all the "big" teams ran different cars with RML running SEATs, Triple Eight running Vauxhalls, Dynamics running Hondas and WSR running BMWs. As well as that there were MGs, Alphas and the odd Lexus further down the field. The variety of cars added to the enjoyment in my opinion.

The championship battle was thrilling, both Gio and Plato drove brilliantly throughout the year and even as a neutral that final round was nerve wracking to watch. It's ironic that one of the main reasons given for Plato not winning more than two titles is he is a win or bust driver. However in 07 he finished every single race and still came up short, you have to feel for him in that respect.

As already said, the emergence of Mat Jackson and TOC were also pleasing aspects to what was a memorable season.

The only tinge of disappointment for me on a personal note was that Matt Neal had a difficult year, winning just once, being outscored by Shedden for the first time and being involved in a huge shunt at Brands. You can't have it all though can you, haha!
    Yes,but have to point out that SEAT by then was run by Northern South rather than RML,as RML was already running Chevrolet's WTCC program back then,SEAT didn't wanted them to run it's business anymore!But still Northern South did excellent,winning the team's trophy.

Neal indeed had a tough year in 2007,but being able to give that Civic first ever victory during the opening round was brilliant,and he played a big part during the final meeting of that year...

And yes,for Plato that's a big shame,the Leon is a consistent machine and was really great on tight corners and wet conditions,but it's lack of power and aerodynamic disadvantage contributed to some loss of critical points like Thruxton and Oulton Park.
    Last edited by B21993; 17th Feb 2015 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    Yes,but have to point out that SEAT by then was run by Northern South rather than RML,as RML was already running Chevrolet's WTCC program back then,SEAT didn't wanted them to run it's business anymore!But still Northern South did excellent,winning the team's trophy.

Neal indeed had a tough year in 2007,but being able to give that Civic first ever victory during the opening round was brilliant,and he played a big part during the final meeting of that year...

And yes,for Plato that's a big shame,the Leon is a consistent machine and was really great on tight corners and wet conditions,but it's lack of power and aerodynamic disadvantage contributed to some loss of critical points like Thruxton and Oulton Park.
    I knew someone would correct me on who ran the SEAT team. I couldn't remember what year RML gave it up.

Yes, I remember that they only just got the Civics built in time so they were really surprised to get a win at the first meeting. It was an awesome achievement like you said. And Neal did play a big part in the final round as he'd already signed for Vauxhall for 2008 at that point. It would have been rude of him not to help his future employers

Supporting Matt Neal over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomabigbtccfan View Post
    I knew someone would correct me on who ran the SEAT team. I couldn't remember what year RML gave it up.

Yes, I remember that they only just got the Civics built in time so they were really surprised to get a win at the first meeting. It was an awesome achievement like you said. And Neal did play a big part in the final round as he'd already signed for Vauxhall for 2008 at that point. It would have been rude of him not to help his future employers
    RML quit BTCC as soon as they got the contract from Chevy,which was in 2005,after that Northern South took over the whole SEAT Sport UK program.

Yes....and just like everybody expected Plato had some bumping with Neal once again as that happened,some good moments.