Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The small "wings" on Super Tourers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    800

    The small "wings" on Super Tourers

    A question came into my mind when watching old pics of ST era:In the late 90s a lot of Super Touring cars always had one small "wing" on the top of their roof,usually longnitually mounted,is that for aerodynamic use?And what's the exact use of that?To stablise cars when cornering?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Fast Lane
    Posts
    1,792
    Onboard camera mounting.
    Erkut Kizilirmak Fan #1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by daveylad1978 View Post
    Onboard camera mounting.
    But that was only mounted on some of the cars,and it was in the center of the roof and usually quite high off the roof,especially one time i saw two mounted on the left and right edge of the roof,so I was quite curious what that was....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    But that was only mounted on some of the cars,and it was in the center of the roof and usually quite high off the roof,especially one time i saw two mounted on the left and right edge of the roof,so I was quite curious what that was....
    Was definitely cameras mate. i remember them despite only being a kid. Made for some terrific footage at times, usually facing the rear i think!
    Facebook - Darrell Page
    Twitter - @darrellapage

    Controversial originality since 1990

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
    Was definitely cameras mate. i remember them despite only being a kid. Made for some terrific footage at times, usually facing the rear i think!
    Okay,was just not sure though!And another question is about those "wheelcover" usually used on Supertourers in 90s:How did teams decide if attach them or not and which wheel to attch them?Was that judged by the personalities of the circuits?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    Okay,was just not sure though!And another question is about those "wheelcover" usually used on Supertourers in 90s:How did teams decide if attach them or not and which wheel to attch them?Was that judged by the personalities of the circuits?
    you mean this on the roof http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._(cropped).jpg ???

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Btcc_Dan View Post
    Yep,that was the "wing" I was talking about,but now I know that's only for camera attachment though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •