Thread: Slow upgrade of SEAT's BTCC works car?

Slow upgrade of SEAT's BTCC works car?

Just when I was watching the old tapes of BTCC races I found that the Leon used by the SEAT Sport UK was actually using the 2005-spec front splitter during the first four meetings of 2006 season,while SEAT's works team in WTCC at the same year was already using the new splitter from the first race in Curitiba.Did SEAT think BTCC was not as competitive as WTCC so they just put off their upgrades for UK?

Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    Just when I was watching the old tapes of BTCC races I found that the Leon used by the SEAT Sport UK was actually using the 2005-spec front splitter during the first four meetings of 2006 season,while SEAT's works team in WTCC at the same year was already using the new splitter from the first race in Curitiba.Did SEAT think BTCC was not as competitive as WTCC so they just put off their upgrades for UK?
    I thought the BTCC got the year-old chassis, from SEAT and BMWs?
    Dan Marr - Motorsport Journalist (amongst the many other things I seem to do)
    mixcloud.com/danmarr14
    twitter.com/danmarr14

Quote Originally Posted by danfilm007 View Post
    I thought the BTCC got the year-old chassis, from SEAT and BMWs?
    Probably,Plato's Leon was unveiled in Knockhill meeting in 2005,and I thought SEAT would gave that car some upgrades when it comes to 2006,but they didn't.And it also surprises me that SEAT didn't want to use Leon as early as 2005,seems like they just gave up that horrible season.

Quote Originally Posted by B21993 View Post
    Probably,Plato's Leon was unveiled in Knockhill meeting in 2005,and I thought SEAT would gave that car some upgrades when it comes to 2006,but they didn't.And it also surprises me that SEAT didn't want to use Leon as early as 2005,seems like they just gave up that horrible season.
    To be fair, I think they only started using the Leon in late '05. Either way, the national championships got the cast off WTCC cars, like RML used (cheating as they were works Chevrolet) the Lacetti in '09.
    Dan Marr - Motorsport Journalist (amongst the many other things I seem to do)
    mixcloud.com/danmarr14
    twitter.com/danmarr14

Quote Originally Posted by danfilm007 View Post
    To be fair, I think they only started using the Leon in late '05. Either way, the national championships got the cast off WTCC cars, like RML used (cheating as they were works Chevrolet) the Lacetti in '09.
    SEAT indeed only got the Leon ready in late 2005,but I think they built cars specifically for BTCC,because Plato's car was already unveiled in 2005.Maybe the slow upgrade was because of some agreement to use older spec cars on national series?