Thread: One Season Wonders

One Season Wonders

In this here thread

We look at drivers who did 1 full season of the BTCC and then were never seen in the series again.

Which ones were the most succesful?, which ones had the potential to achieve more had they stuck around?

As far as most succesful goes.. Well there is one really obvious one here.

Laurent Aiello - Came into the 1999 Season won 10 races on his way to the 1999 title, than left the very next year. But what if he had decided to stick around and try to defend his title for 2000?, Nissan had left though I believe the 3 remaining teams. Ford, Vauxhall and Honda all offered him a seat (feel free to correct me of I'm wrong there).. Lets assume he had accepted a seat from on of the teams, would we be looking at a back to back champion or would he have found things a bit tougher?, obviously we will never know but it sometimes it makes you think.

Tom Kristofferson - very succesful Le Man 24 hour career, this Dane came into 2000 with Honda, winning 3 races, had he joined BTCC a bit earlier who knows?

Jonathan Adam - After back to back Seat Cupra titles, JA finally achieved his goal of getting into the BTCC with Motorbase in 2009 (Or Airwaves BMW as they were known that year), he won on the road at the brands opener in Race 3 however lost his win after receiving a time penalty after his clash with Plato, Adam was never able to repeat his win, another driver however who perhaps could have achieved more had he stuck around.

Shaun Watson Smith - A South African who joined Proton in 2004, a car that was very uncompetitive ,despite this SWS was able to get some decent results from it, he was supposedly linked to a Vauxhall drive in 2005, this however never happened and was gone from the BTCC a year later. A real shame, underrated driver who never really got the chance to show his full potential.

Anyway these ate the ones I have for now, feel free to share other One Season wonders here

2012 BTCC Predictions Champion!!

I remember the seat of Kristensen in 2000 was originally Aiello's ,so if he stay,he would probably work with Honda.

Rob Huff did pretty well at Seat in 2004. Not sure if he's had any success since then, mind you....

Although he didn't strictly complete a full season, I think Tommy Erdos did well with that pig of a Lexus back in 2001 too.
    David Leslie, Silverstone 1997: "This is David, Bintcliffe's done it again and the car's f***ed..."

Rob Huff! DOH!, how could I forget him! >.<

Was going to mention Priaulx but than I remembered he did afew rounds in 2001.

2012 BTCC Predictions Champion!!

Daniel Lloyd is more of a one weekend wonder, but he had a superb appearance in the 888 Vectra at Croft '10. Likewise with Aaron Williamson in the TGR Civic at Brands '12.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by andyneate View Post
    Hi guys, unsubstantiated nonsense BORK BORK BORK

Actually I just thought about one youngman who did exceptionally well last year-Jake Hill!!Really hoped to see him later though.

And I thought Joe Girling in last season did not bas as well,but the NGTC engined Cruze was too unrealiable.

Just looking through some of the late 90s privateers throws up some names - Tommy Rustad for one.

Also Colin Gallie who seemed pretty handy in his BMW back 1997 (anyone got any idea what happened to him?)

Mark Blair also looked quick in 1999 (I know he did a few races in that Alfa in 2001, but shush :P)
    David Leslie, Silverstone 1997: "This is David, Bintcliffe's done it again and the car's f***ed..."

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, from 2008 - Michael Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by MGMattL View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, from 2008 - Michael Doyle
    Great shout Matt
    Good Old Sussex By The Sea

Johnny Adam for me, wish he stayed around longer great driver
    Good Old Sussex By The Sea

jonny couldnt raise the budgets, so he went off and did british gt and got paid for doing so. mainly thanks to john gaw and phil dryburgh of aston martin racing.
    Knockhill marshal and proud
    opinions expressed are my own and not those of any organisations i am connected with